Monday, October 14, 2013

Calorie Counter

Not sure this is something to brag about, but I know the calorie count of just about every food.  I can estimate it in my head.  Why?  Because I've been counting calories since middle school.   Without thinking, I know that a serving of Cheerios is 3/4 of a cup and approximately 100 calories.   I know that a medium apple and a medium banana are both about 100 calories, and that blackberries have the least amount of sugar.   

Now that I'm 36 years old (!), it saddens me to think I have been counting calories since I was 14.   It saddens me to think 14 year old girls today worry about their calories just as I did at that age.  


This "skill", if you will, actually comes in handy with my clients. I can scan their food diaries and quickly estimate calories.   Of course, today, databases such as "My Fitness Pal" are full of (fairly) accurate nutritional statistics and my educational guesses are pretty much useless.  

I think this skill works against me sometimes when I am feeling rebellious - tired of counting calories and eating clean - I know that there are over 1000 calories in a burrito from Chipotle or Moe's so I'll get one to rebel against myself.  A box of bakery cookies @ 200+ calories each?  I'm a "bad" girl.  This also serves to confirm that I cannot be trusted with food.   

No comments:

Post a Comment